Monday, March 14, 2011

This is why I'm fat

Got in to my mom and dad's this afternoon. I took a nap, and then we had dinner. It was homemade chili, cornbread and salad. Sounds not too terrible, right? 17 points. And that was with being very careful about portion sizes. One cup (half a bowl) of chili with a pinch of shredded cheese, one slice of cornbread, no butter, and one tablespoon of balsamic vinaigrette on the salad. Then I look over and my mom and dad are both on the second full bowl of chili and second or third piece of cornbread with butter. They put at least half a CUP of shredded cheese on each bowl of chili, and copious amounts of ranch dressing on the salad.

Of course my dad is thin as usual, and neither of them has ever been more than 15 lbs overweight. Same with my sister. So I clearly got my genetics from somewhere else. But this is what I grew up with as "normal" eating.

Before arriving at my parents' I just ate in small bits over the course of the day. I tend to get airsick, and though eating helps I have to do it a little bit at a time and see how it goes. In no particular order I had a protein bar, two clementines, a kiwi, two string cheeses, a Cadbury Creme Egg, a protein cookie, and a Weight Watchers two point lemon snack bar that I got as a sample at my last meeting. I also had some diet Coke on each flight.

I fix my own breakfasts and lunches while visiting, so I should be ok. I will just have to have my other meals be high in fruits and vegetables to make it work out.

My daughter is super excited to see me and we've been having fun. I picked up a make-your-own gummy candy set at the Asian market for her. We had to figure it out from the pictures on the box, but it was cute and fun. She said it tasted good. The textures kind of wierded me out though, so I took her word for it.

Gummy bento candy

No comments:

Post a Comment