Thursday, April 21, 2011

On a soup kick

I've never been much of a cook, but the few things I know how to make I do make well. I am happy to say that I have finally nailed making soup. It's something that has been very hit or miss for me in the past, but I think I finally know what I'm doing. Generally speaking, I do not do recipes. Not unless I'm baking. This is sort of my downfall, but sometimes it works in my favor when things turn out well. I think it's maybe because I'm picky and only like certain foods combined with certain other foods, so it's hard to find recipes that work for me. I don't know. I also like to keep recipes pretty simple. More than 6 or 7 ingredients is just too many. I have almost no counter space for preparation. I watch a lot of those cooking challenge shows, like Chopped and Iron Chef, and I really think I'm becoming a better cook just from watching them and picking up little tricks and hints.

I have all kinds of soups planned for the next week. Tomorrow I'm making smoked salmon chowder with potatoes, corn, and carrots. I'm also planning a broccoli cheese soup, and a lentil soup with veggie beer brats, dark beer, and fennel. I have to see if we have a crock pot somewhere. Jeremy thinks we might have one, but he's not sure. I seem to remember it being in the cabinet by the fridge. Hmmm...

I went back to the dentist today and got four more fillings. It was initially painful when the novacaine wore off, but it's much better now. I think I might actually have a loss at the weigh in tomorrow. That would be nice.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you're feeling better--dental work hurts!

    I am not a cook, I don't enjoy it because DH and I don't share the same tastes. We've both been cooking a lot more the last two years. Soup is not something we make, though. I love soup but now I have to watch sodium and most canned soup is high. Maybe some day I will master it like you do!

    We have two crockpots. I use a small one to bake potatoes. They're just like oven baked (instead of microwave) and so easy, toss them in the crock in the morning and forget about them. lol

    Thanks for the recommendation on the A&D. I used that on my son years ago. I've been using vaseline the past few days and I think they're just about healed up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soup is delicious! I had very limited counterspace in college too so I had to make do to! I love watching cooking shows and travel shows to draw inspiration!

    Have a lovely weekend

    ReplyDelete